Android, BlackBerry and Nokia Log Everything You Do
Security researchers have discovered that iPhone running iOS 4 were storing a cache of data on which GPS locations that handset had visited in an unencrypted file, it was dubbed LocationGate and later the whole debacle was just a bug but Apple has to testify in front of the Senate about the matter
Following the incident, one user sent an email to Apple asking for answers. If he didn’t get them soon, he said, he’d switch to Droid; they don’t track him. An email from Steve Jobs, which dropped something of a bombshell: he said Apple doesn’t track anyone’s location, but that Android tracked everyone.
Now time has proven Steve Jobs right. Android phones do track you. In fact, software that comes pre-installed on millions of Android, BlackBerry and Nokia phones log everything you do with your device, and sends them off secretly to its own servers. Trevor Eckhart, the developer who discovered the software, released a video of his findings, watch it below.
Carrier IQ will log and save each key dialed. When receiving a text message, Carrier IQ will process and log the text message, before the user even sees it. Web searches are stored by the service as well, logged in plain text. No encryption. That’s incredible. One privately held company that almost no one has ever heard of has the complete logs of every email, phone call, web search and text message ever sent or received by millions of Android, Blackberry and Nokia users.
In a phone interview to Wired.com, a marketing manager for Carrier IQ defended what the product does:
We’re not looking at texts. We’re counting things. How many texts did you send and how many failed. That’s the level of metrics that are being gathered.
- Google Android Ousts Nokia Symbian From Smartphones Top Spot
- Android 3.0 Honeycomb Apps List is Only 17
- Apple’s iOS Is More Secure Than Google’s Android!
- 800 out of 10,000 Android Apps Leak Private Information
- LinkedIn Launches Updated iPhone & Android Apps, New HTML 5 Mobile Site
- Try Out Windows Phone on Your iPhone or Android Right Now
- Samsung Takes Another Jab At Apple with New Galaxy S4 Ad
- Apple Q2 2013 Results: $43.6 Billion Revenue, 37.4 Million iPhones, 19.5 Million iPads Sold
- Funny or Die’s Steve Jobs Movie, iSteve, Now Available to Watch Online
- iOS 6.1.3 iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Direct Download Links Repository
- Enhanced Banner Notifications Concept for iOS 7
- iOS 6.1.2 iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Direct Download Links Repository
- iOS 6.1.1 For iPhone 4S Released to Address Cellular Issues
- iOS 6.1 iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Direct Download Links Repository
- Apple Q1 2013 Results: $54.5 Billion Revenue, 47.8 Million iPhones, 22.9 Million iPads, 4.1 Million Macs
- Apple To Consider A Plastic Chassis For Its Entry-level Cheaper iPhone