Peter Molyneux Defends His Next Game, Curiosity, $50,000 In-app Purchase
A new tidbits for the famous game designer Peter Molyneux‘s next project revealed, the upcoming game is called Curiosity and its making its way to iOS, PC and Android.
Curiosity is set in a virtual room that contains a single black cube. As you tap away at it it fractures. Other fractures caused by other players can also be seen. After a large number of taps the cube opens, revealing its innards. Only the player who performs the final tap gets to see what’s inside. Molyneux said the mystery is “valuable, and so life-chantingly important.”
“It’s so amazing I think it will appear on news reports,” Molyneux said elsewhere in the presentation, “though it’s not a dead cat, by the way.”
This is great but beyond that, the game promises to take the in-app purchases, aka DLC, to an insane level, before the cube opens, players will be able to buy one of a limited number of chisels to improve their tapping strength. An iron chisel – 10 times more powerful than the default tap – costs 59 pence. The diamond chisel is 100,000 times as powerful – but it costs $50,000, and there is only one available.
Molyneux didn’t have a problem defending the price.
“Why is that not nice?” Molyneux retorted animatedly. “We can’t be ashamed for asking people to spend money. We can’t be ashamed of that. As a designer that is proof that I have done something meaningful. I’m not saying that you have to buy these chisels – and I don’t expect the diamond chisel to ever be purchased. If it is I want to meet that person. They may be an investor or something!”
“I’m not doing this to purely monetize,” Molyneux carried on, “but I don’t mind monetization. I don’t think it’s anything to be ashamed of.”
Although I’m not sold into the idea of this whopping amount but anyone out there “curious” enough to find out what’s inside the last cube?
- The Last of Us First In-game Screenshots Revealed
- Epoch: Incredible New iOS Game By The Makers Of Bioshock
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Becomes the Highest Selling Game of All Time
- Assassin’s Creed 3 officially Announced, Game Set During the American Revolution
- Peter Moore resigns as head of Xbox
- Peter Jackson Responds to The Hobbit 48fps Controversy
- Xbox One Revealed: All-in-one Home Entertainment System
- Batman: Arkham Origins Official Trailer Released
- The Last of Us Previews Now Available
- BEYOND: Two Souls New Trailer at Tribeca Film Festival
- Thief Reveal Trailer, Out of the Shadows
- Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain Revealed
- Battlefield 4 Officially Announced, 17 Minutes Gameplay Reveal
- Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag First Explosive Gameplay Trailer
- God of War: Ascension Reviews Round-up
- Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag Debut Trailer Leaked [Updated]