Disney to Buy Lucasfilm for $4.05 Billion
It seems like Darth Vader and Micky Mouse will soon become colleagues, after Disney’s $4.05 billion purchase of Lucasfilm deal is finalized.
Disney will acquire Lucasfilm from its founder George Lucas for $4.05 billion, the company announced on Tuesday, Oct. 30. Disney will pay about half of the deal in cash and issue about 40 million shares.
Disney also announced plans to make a new Star Wars movie called “Episode 7″ to be released in 2015, probably followed by Episode 8 and 9. In a statement regarding the matter, George Lucas, chairman and CEO of Lucasfilm, said:
“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next, it’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment and consumer products.”
George Lucas owns 100 percent of Lucasfilm, the company behind the Star Wars franchise and the Indiana Jones movies. After the deal is finalized, he will become Disney’s second largest shareholder and will remain on board as a creative consultant.
Lucasfilm purchase is Disney fourth largest purchase. Disney purchased Capital Cities/ABC in 1995 for $19.7 billion, Pixar in 2006 for $7.6 billion, and Fox Family in 2001 for $5.2 billion.
- Digg Rebooted, Launches Redesign and iOS App
- First Trailer for Sam Raimi’s Oz The Great and Powerful
- Microsoft to Acquire a Multi-touch Technology Company, Perceptive Pixel
- Monsters University First Teaser Trailer
- Facebook Acquires Instagram for $1 Billion
- Disney John Carter: Final Action-Packed Trailer
- Pixar’s Brave New Poster and Trailer
- Apple to Acquire Israeli Flash Memory Chip Maker Anobit
- John Carter Official Trailer and Banners Released
- The Avengers Official Character Descriptions Revealed