Sony Computer Entertainment, SCE, has finally unwrapped the company’s next-gen home console, PlayStation 4. Here are all the details.
The console sports an AMD 8-core CPU SoC based on Jaguar Technology and a set 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, with graphic AMD’s Next-gen Radeon based graphic engine.
- Single-chip custom processor
- CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
- GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine
- GDDR5 8GB
Hard Disk Drive
- (read only)
- BD 6xCAV
- DVD 8xCAV
- Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0), AUX
- Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
- IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)
- Analog-AV out
- Digital Output (optical)*Specifications are subject to change without notice.
The console will launch in Holiday 2013. A rumor suggests that there will be two SKUs at price tags around $429 and $529.
Next-gen PlayStation Eye:
Each console is said to ship with the next-gen PlayStation Eye camera which packs a pair of wide-angle cameras that will pick up signals from the new DualShock 4 controllers.PlayStation 4 Eye
- External Dimension Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (width x height x depth)(tentative)
- Weight Approx. 183g (tentative)
- Video Pixel (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
- Video Frame Rate 1280×800 pixel @ 60fps
- 640×400 pixel @ 120fps
- 320×192 pixel @ 240fps
- Video Format RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
- Lens Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
- Capture Range 30cm～∞
- Field-of-View 85
- Microphone 4 Channel Microphone Array
- Connection Type PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)
- Cable Length Approx. 2m (tentative)
The new 3D camera detects the player from the light bars attached to the new controller for an easy identification. It will let you spectate and watch other friends play games from your console’s dashboard with the ability to remotely control games their friends are playing to help them get through a tough spot.
The new controller, Dualshock 4, will come with a new small touchpad in the center that will work as an input button, capacitive type and two-point multitouch panel. A new “share” button, by which you can record gameplay and onscreen footage and share it directly with your friends. Some claims that you can actually have access to the last 15 minutes recorded anytime you press the share button.
Dualshock 4 specs:External Dimensions
- Approx. 162mm x 52mm x 98mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
- Approx. 210g (tentative)
Keys / Switches
- PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button
- Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right)
- Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
- R1/L1/R2/L2 button, Left stick / L3 button, Right stick / R3 button, Pad Button
- Touch Pad 2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type
- Motion Sensor Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, threeaxis accelerometer)
- Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker
- Ports: USB (Micro B), Extention Port, Stereo Headset Jack
- Wireless Communication Bluetooth Ver2.1+EDR
- Battery Type Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery Voltage DC3.7V (tentative) Capacity 1000mAh (tentative)
PS Vita Integration and Second Screen:
PS Vita is fully integrated even you can play/stream PS4 games right on it, thanks to Gaikai technology. You’ll also be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone, a companion apps will be made available for iOS and Android. Some speculate that most of online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony’s new online service will be called PlayStation World replacing PlayStation Plus. Its not known yet whether this related to Gaikai or PlayStation Cloud.
PlayStation 3 titles won’t be supported natively, confirmed Sony. But all PS1, PS2 and PS3 titles will be playable using Gaiki streaming technology on PS4 or actually on any platform, anything, anywhere.
- Knack Sony’s Japan Studio
- Killzone: Shadow Fall by Guerrilla Studio.
- DriveClub by Evolution Studio.
- InFamous: Second Son by Sucker Punch
- Destiny, by Bungie, and Diablo III, by Blizzard
- Watch Dogs from Ubisoft is confirmed as a launch title
- New Final Fantasy title for PS4 will be announced at E3 this year