- Its a tethered jailbreak
- Supported devices: iPhone4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 1 and iPod Touch 3G and iPod Touch 4G.
- iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are NOT supported yet.
- iBooks will crash and not be working after the jailbreak.
NOTE: Before you follow the below guide to jailbreak your device, you need to know that the following process is NOT for those who want to preserve their baseband for the Unlock. I’ll be putting another guide for that and the ability to preserve the baseband using custom ipsw.
How To Jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch
- Download iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch what ever device you have. (If you are already on iOS 5, you do not need to re-download it of course)
Download Redsn0w 0.9.9b5 for Mac and extract the ZIP file. Download Redsn0w 0.9.9b4 for Windows (Beta 5 is still under testing, its better to wait for it actually!)
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.9b6 for Windows New
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.9b6 for Mac New
- Create a folder on desktop and copy both the above downloads to it.
2. Click the ‘Jaibreak’ button below the text. Now it will ask you to connect the device to your Mac/PC and then turn it off, do so and click ‘Next’. Now follow the on-screen instructions to proceed.4. Then choose Cydia and click the ‘Next’ button.
6. The device will reboot showing ‘Downloading Jailbreak Data’ logo and then some code on the device’s screen, while redsn0w sends modified files to the device. You will be notified once redsn0w is done. Let the rest of process continue on the device, please be patient.7. After it reboots, your device should now be jailbroken with Cydia on the homescreen. If Cydia appears like a white icon reboot the device as below 8. For booting up tethered, open redsn0w and click the “Extras” button below the jailbreak button. 9. Select “Just Boot” from the “Extras” menu.